UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture 401 President Clinton Avenue Little Rock, AR, 72201 email@example.com
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit
UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture
Elizabeth Mitchell Children's Center Collection, 1887-1976
6.0 Linear feet2 document boxes; 5 flat boxes
Arranged by type of item and chronological thereunder
Scope and Contents Note
This collection contains meeting minutes, correspondence, financial records, newsclippings, photographs, visitor's registers, and ledger books of donations from the Elizabeth Mitchell Children's Center. The original records of the Children's Aid Society, the first name of the agency, were destroyed in a fire. The earliest records in the collection are adoption agreements and donation records from 1887, when the agency was known as the Children's Home.
The Elizabeth Mitchell Children's Center began operation in 1884 as the Children's Aid Society, which consisted of members of the First Presbyterian Church who boarded orphans in homes around Little Rock. This group reorganized as the Children's Home of Little Rock in 1886, purchasing a small cottage at 410 Arch Street. The majority of the children served by this facility were neglected rather than orphaned. In 1907, the name was changed to the Little Rock Orphan's Home and moved into a building at 920 McGowan Street.
In 1923, the Home became a charter member of the Community Chest. This membership provided a stable source of revenue, freeing the Home from dependence on private donations and fundraising events. In 1947, the name was changed to the Elizabeth Mitchell Memorial Home to honor Mrs. James Mitchell who had served as president of the board for more than 40 years. In 1960, the house on McGowan Street stood directly in the path of what became Interstate 630. The agency moved to 400 West 18th Street, where it operated for the next 22 years. The focus shifted from long-term care to short-term care for children with emotional problems. This change culminated the agency's merger with the Pulaski County Guidance Center in 1970. The new agency was named the Elizabeth Mitchell Children's Center.
Elizabeth Mitchell Children's Center (Little Rock, Ark.)
Pfeifer, Don, donor
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is available for viewing at the Arkansas Studies Institute.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17-U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The person using this material is liable for any infringement.
Copyright for correspondence in the collections belongs to those correspondents or their beneficiaries. Persons wanting to re-use those materials are advised to obtain permission from copyright holders.
Elizabeth Mitchell Children's Center Collection, 1887-1976, UALR.MS.0117. UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture, Arkansas Studies Institute, Little Rock.
Footnote or Endnote info:
Description of item, file number, box number, Elizabeth Mitchell Children's Center Collection, 1887-1976, UALR.MS.0117.