Skip to main content



St. Francis Levee District of Arkansas photograph collection, 1934-1935

St. Francis Levee District of Arkansas photograph collection, 1934-1935

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid

Saint Francis Levee District of Arkansas photograph collection, 1934-1935 UALR.PH.0090

UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture
401 President Clinton Avenue
Little Rock, AR, 72201
archives@ualr.edu



Profile Description

Creation: This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-08-03T12:46-0500

Repository: UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture
Title: St. Francis Levee District of Arkansas photograph collection, 1934-1935
Dates: 1934-1935
Quantity: 213.0 itemsTwo flat boxes
Identification: UALR.PH.0090
Language:

Arrangement

Collection is arranged as presented in the original album. Two album pages, 55 and 111, have no photos because the acreage was vacant, and 85 was missing.

Scope and Contents Note

This collection contains photographic prints mounted on album pages of selected property sites located in the St. Francis Levee District of Arkansas in 1934-1935 and were taken by the Levee District Board of Directors to collaborate property re-evaluations for taxing purposes, including the counties of Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Lee, Mississippi, Phillips, Poinsett and St. Francis.


Historical Note

The St. Francis Levee District was established by Act 19, of February 15, 1893, of the Arkansas General Assembly. As the first improvement district in Arkansas, the St. Francis Levee District addressed flooding problems associated with the St. Francis Basin. Previous efforts to develop a flood control program through the federal Swamp Land Grant of 1850 and other state organizations were ineffective.

Arkansas counties in the Levee District included: Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Lee, Mississippi, Phillips, Poinsett and St. Francis. The district was governed by a Board of Directors comprised of three representatives from each member county. Representatives were appointed by the governor. The first board appointments were made by Arkansas Governor W. N. Fishback in 1893.

The project was initially funded by an appropriation from the Mississippi River Commission and a tax levy on anticipated benefits or increased land values resulting from a levee system. Re-evaluations occurred when deemed necessary by the Levee District Board of Directors. This collection was produced during the 1935 re-evaluation. For further information see: History of the organization and operations of the Board of Directors, St. Francis Levee District of Arkansas, 1893-1945.


Blytheville (Ark.)
Buildings--Arkansas
Commercial buildings--Arkansas
Housing--Arkansas
Hubbell, Ken, donor
Industrial buildings--Arkansas
Real property--Valuation--Arkansas
St. Francis Levee District of Arkansas.

Restrictions

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is available for viewing at the Arkansas Studies Institute.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright law of the United States (Title 17-U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The person using this material is liable for any infringement.

Copyright for correspondence in the collections belongs to those correspondents or their beneficiaries. Persons wanting to re-use those materials are advised to obtain permission from copyright holders.


Administrative Information

Citation Notes

Bibliographic citation:

St. Francis Levee District of Arkansas photograph collection, 1934-1935, UALR.PH.0090. UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture, Arkansas Studies Institute, Little Rock, AR.

Footnote or Endnote info:

Description of item, photo number, St. Francis Levee District of Arkansas photograph collection, 1934-1935, UALR.PH.0090.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK