Skip to main content



Fones Brothers Hardware Company collection

Fones Brothers Hardware Company Collection

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid

Finding aid for the Fones Brothers Hardware Company Collection

MSS.97.23

Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
100 Rock Street
Little Rock, Arkansas, 72201
(501) 320-5700



Repository: Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
Creator:Nethercutt, Gloria
Creator:Tucker, Phillip
Creator:Waldo, A. Warner
Creator:Westbrook, Parker
Title: Fones Brothers Hardware Company Collection
Dates: 1888-1987
Quantity: 8.75 Linear feet
General Physical Description note8.75 linear feet
Abstract:This collection consists of selected materials, books and artifacts relating to the operation Fones Brothers Hardware Company in Little Rock.
Identification: MSS.97.23
Language: English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged topically and chronologically.


Scope and Contents

This collection consists of selected materials, books and artifacts relating to the operation Fones Brothers Hardware Company in Little Rock. The collection includes selected business records from Conn Furniture and Hardware in Stuttgart, Arkansas, which was acquired by Fones Brothers in 1934 in settlement of a debt.


Biographical Note

Daniel G. Fones emigrated from Georgia in 1855, settling first in Monticello and then in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. He moved to Little Rock in 1859, and founded the business at Markham and Main Street. His main focus was to manufacture tin, copper, sheet iron and zinc wares, although he also carried stoves and other house wares at both wholesale and retail. Following the Civil War, he was joined in the business by his brothers James A. and Alvan Thomas; they shortly expanded the wholesale hardware department. Following the death of Alvan Thomas Fones in 1884, the business was incorporated as Fones Brothers Hardware Company in August 1888. The Company became the largest wholesale hardware business in the state. Fones Brothers operated in four different locations in Little Rock; the last location was a concrete warehouse building constructed in the 1920s at Second and Rock Streets. The company continued to be held by the Fones family interests until 1983, when it was sold to General Properties, Inc., of North Little Rock. In 1985, it was moved to a new warehouse in the Spring Hill area of North Little Rock, and in November 1987, the company ceased operations. At the time it closed, it was the oldest wholesaler and the second oldest continuously operating business in Arkansas, with only the Arkansas Gazette having been in business longer.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Conn Furniture and Hardware Store. (Stuttgart, Ark.)
Fones Bros. Hardware Company. (Little Rock, Ark.)
Fones, Alvan Thomas
Fones, Daniel G.
Fones, James A.
Hardware stores -- Arkansas.

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Restrictions on Use

Non-circulating, in-house use only.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Fones Brothers Hardware Company Collection, MSS 97-23, Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, Arkansas Studies Institute

Acquisition Information

Donated Gloria Nethercutt, Phillip Tucker, A. Warner Waldo, and Parker Westbrook 1997, 2005. The major portion of the collection was donated by A. W. (Warner) Waldo. Some pieces bought on eBay, others donated by Phillip Tucker.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK