Butler Center for Arkansas Studies 100 Rock Street Little Rock, Arkansas, 72201 (501) 320-5700
Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
Arkansas Delphian Assembly
Arkansas Delphian Assembly Scrapbook
2.0 Linear feet
This collection contains a scrapbook documenting the activities of the Arkansas Delphian Assembly from 1931 to 1940.
This collection is arranged chronologically and by type of artifact.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a scrapbook documenting the activities of the Arkansas Delphian Assembly. The scrapbook, which was begun in 1936, contains items dated from 1931 to 1940, as well as related ephemera. Loose items were removed from the book and placed in document folders.
The Delphian movement started as a correspondence course developed about 1910, by a council of scholars to provide women structure for continuing education following college. The council initially designed a six year course of study, later adding two additional six year courses. Headquartered in Chicago, the Delphian Society soon adopted an approach of endorsing the development of local "talking classes" that met together regularly to discuss the study material, using the Socratic Method. Rather than writing papers to be read at gatherings, students were taught to present the material from their reading assignments verbally and participate in discussions of it.
Although it started as a program of continuing education for those who had been to college, the Delphian Society soon decided that anyone who was interested in studying and willing to undertake the work should be included. Class sizes were limited to 50 or less, so that multiple chapters developed in the various cities. By 1930, about 300,000 women had enrolled in Delphian classes, participating in 3,000 chapters nationwide.
A group of women met in Little Rock in May 1929, to begin the process of establishing a statewide Delphian organization. There were nine Delphian Society chapters in Little Rock and another dozen active around the state. National Delphian field supervisor M. Alberta Maxon came to the state to help organize additional chapters, and also help organize the Arkansas Delphian Assembly. The state group adopted a constitution which was approved by the national organization in 1931. The material in this collection documents the activity of the state assembly through 1940.
While Delphian Society chapters were primarily study groups, they expanded their activities to include work in local schools and other forms of community service. Their motto became, "Not what we have, but what we share. In ceasing to share, we cease to have."
This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Arkansas -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.
Arkansas Delphian Assembly.
Little Rock (Ark.) -- History -- 20th century.
National Delphian Society.
Women -- Arkansas -- Societies and clubs.
Women -- Education -- Arkansas.
Restirctions on Access
Restrictions on Use
Non-circulating, in-house use only.
Arkansas Delphian Assembly Scrapbook, MSS 99.08, Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, Arkansas Studies Institute