UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture 401 President Clinton Avenue Little Rock, AR, 72201 email@example.com
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit
UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture
UALR Seminar in Public History (HIST 7391) Files on the Arkansas Arts Center, 2007
0.5 Linear feet; 1 document box
Scope and Contents Note
This collection contains the project report, interview transcripts, and audio cassette tapes from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Seminar in Public History's 2007 project, "One of the Greatest Success Stories in Arkansas: Sketching the History of the Arkansas Arts Center," directed by Deborah J. Baldwin, Ph.D., which includes a history of the Arkansas Arts Center and interviews with former directors, board members, volunteers, chairman, and others.
Project staff: Stephanie Bayless, Daniel Benton, Teresa Lauderdale, Jennifer McCarty, Jamie Metrailer, and Sara Thompson.
The Arkansas Arts Center began in 1914 as the Fine Arts Club, a women's social club who met regularly in the Little Rock Public Library to study art and art history. The club also occasionally sponsored small art exhibits by local artists. In 1927, this group began planning for a permanent gallery. Arkansas's first permanent art gallery opened the following year on the fourth floor of the Pulaski County Courthouse.
By the 1930s, the organization needed more space for the gallery's holdings. In 1934, it received a $25,000 donation from Fred W. Allsopp, as well as a $25,000 grant from the Works Progress Administration for the construction of a new building on historic park grounds, which was donated by the City of Little Rock. This building was named the Museum of Fine Arts. In the 1950s, the Fine Arts Club partnered with the Junior League of Little Rock and Governor Winthrop and Jeannette Rockefeller for a fundraising campaign to build a new arts center that would serve the entire state of Arkansas.
In 1960, the City of Little Rock passed an ordinance that officially made renamed the Museum of Fine Arts to the Arkansas Arts Center. The Arkansas Arts Center held its grand opening in 1963 and continues to serve as an educational and cultural center in Arkansas.
Historical Note on UALR Seminar in Public History
The Seminar in Public History (HIST 7391) is a required course restricted to graduate students in the Masters of Arts in Public History at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Through directed readings and extensive research on specialized topics in public history, graduate students concentrate on basic skills needed for all specialized areas in public history. The objective of this course is for graduate students to experience team-research in the application of learned skills in report preparation, oral history, exhibition preparation, cultural resource management, and conservation techniques under a simulated contractual arrangement with a company or non-profit agency.
Arkansas Arts Center.
Fine Arts Club of Arkansas (Little Rock, Ark.).
University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Department of History. (source)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is available for viewing at the Arkansas Studies Institute.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17-U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The person using this material is liable for any infringement.
Copyright for correspondence in the collections belongs to those correspondents or their beneficiaries. Persons wanting to re-use those materials are advised to obtain permission from copyright holders.
UALR Seminar in Public History (HIST 7391) Files on the Arkansas Arts Center, 2007, UALR.MS.0193. UALR Center for Arkansas History and Culture, Arkansas Studies Institute, Little Rock.
Footnote or Endnote info:
Description of item, file number, UALR Seminar in Public History (HIST 7391) Files on the Arkansas Arts Center, 2007, UALR.MS.0193.
Adrienne McGill, Graduate Assistant, M.A. in Public History, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Fall 2012.