Skip to main content



St. Paul's United Church of Christ records

St. Paul's United Church of Christ records

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid

Finding aid for the St. Paul's United Church of Christ records

Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
100 Rock Street
Little Rock, Arkansas, 72201
(501) 320-5700

November 16, 2011



Profile Description

Creation: This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-12-23T12:33-0600
Language: English and German

Repository: Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
Creator:St. Paul's United Church of Christ. (Little Rock, Ark.)
Title: St. Paul's United Church of Christ records
Dates: 1891-2002
Quantity: 6.5 Linear feet
Abstract:This collection contains church history, minutes, reports, financial records, and Elmlawn Cemetery records.
Identification: BC.MSS.09.18
Language: English and German
Language:The collection contains materals in English and German.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged alphabetically.

Scope and Contents

This collection contains church history, minutes, reports, financial records, and Elmlawn Cemetery records.


Historical Information

St. Paul's United Church of Christ, comprised of a German congregation, was organized 1891, in Little Rock, Arkansas, as the Deutsche Evangelische St. Paul Gemeinde (German Evangelical St. Paul's Church). For over a century, St. Paul's served the religious community under nine different names and constructed three new church buildings. Reverend C. F. Stoerker was the first pastor, and the first permanent location was at Eleventh and Ringo Streets. By 1924, plans for a new building were underway at West Eleventh and Ringo. The cornerstone for the new church was laid on October 4, 1925, and the church was dedicated on January 3, 1926. During the dedication, the first pastor, C. F. Stoerker delivered the service in German while F. H. Kraft delivered it in English. As the city grew westward, Paul's relocated again, this time to 3 Lakeshore Drive, in the Broadmoor Addition of Little Rock (located off University Avenue, near the campus of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock). Construction began in January 1955 and the dedication activities were held November through December 1955.

The United Church of Christ grew out mergers between the Evangelical and Reformed Churches in 1934, and then a merger of the Reform and Evangelical with the Congregational Christian Church in 1957. Finally, these denominations merged under a new constitution to form the United Church of Christ in 1961. The uniting of these various denominations are reflected in St. Paul's name changes over the years, including Deutsche Evangelische St. Paul's Gemeinde (1891-1925), Luther Memorial Evangelical Church (1925-1941), First Evangelical Church (1941-1943), First Evangelical and Reformed Church (1943-1950), St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church (1950-1954), St. Paul's Community Church Evangelical and Reformed (1954-1957), St. Paul's Community Church United Church of Christ (1957-1963), St. Paul's United Church of Christ (1963-2001), and Faith United Church of Christ (2001-present).

In 1997, with a declining membership and no full-time pastor, the church began to struggle with the decision of whether to close its doors or remain open. In 1999, the congregation voted to stay open and Reverend Dan R. Thornhill arrived as pastor that year. By 2001, St. Paul's United Church of Christ and First Congregational United Church of Christ (the city's oldest congregational church, established in 1881 by African Americans) merged to become Faith United Church of Christ with Reverend Thornhill of St. Paul’s and Reverend Leroy James of First Congregational, serving as co-pastors. With both ministers now retired, the church is currently being served by supply (temporary) ministers. It is a part of the Missouri Conference of United Church of Christ.

St. Paul's United Church of Christ established Elmlawn Cemetery (formerly St. Paul's Cemetery). In 1926, the church conveyed the cemetery to Elmlawn Cemetery Association, comprised of lot owners who incorporated to operate independently of the church. However, in 1956, the cemetery association relinquished management back to the care of the church. The cemetery is located on West Twelfth Street (off University Avenue). It continues to be owned and operated by Faith United Church of Christ.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Cemeteries -- Arkansas.
Deutsche Evangelische St. Paul Gemeinde. (Little Rock, Ark.)
Faith United Church of Christ. (Little Rock, Ark.)
German Evangelical St. Paul's Church. (Little Rock, Ark.)
Little Rock (Ark.)
Religon.
St. Paul's United Church of Christ. (Little Rock, Ark.)
United Church of Christ. Missouri Conference.

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Restrictions on Use

Non-circulating, in-house use only.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

St. Paul's United Church of Christ records, MSS.09.18, Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, Arkansas Studies Institute

Acquisition Information

Donated by Faith United Church of Christ, 2009


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK