This small collection is contained in one file box and is arranged topically and chronologically.
Scope and Contents
This collection covers the period from 1926-1942, and includes materials concerning foreclosure by The People's National Bank and purchase by Fidelity Company in 1941.
The building which would become the Capital Hotel was built in 1872, on the corner of Markham and Louisiana Streets in Little Rock. It began life as a shop, office, and apartment complex. It has a prefabricated cast-iron facade, which was the first in the state. The building was known as the Denckla Block - after its owner and builder, William P. Denckla, a wealthy financier and real estate speculator.
The building was converted to a hotel in 1877, after the nearby Metropolitan Hotel burned. It was in continuous use as a hotel until 1977, when it was closed. Edwin B. Cromwell, a Little Rock architect and president of Historic Venures, Inc., had long been interested in restoring the building. In 1978, Historic Ventures formed a partnership with Charles Bland Jr. of Grand Junction, Tennessee, and Lawrence E. Walters of Little Rock to purchase the Capital Hotel from Elizabeth Cassinelli. They then brought in Lincoln Properties, Inc. of Dallas, Texas. At the time of the hotel's re-opening in 1983, it was owned by the partnership, Lincoln Properties, and the Stephens Corporation.
This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Capital Hotel. (Little Rock, Ark.)
Hotels -- Arkansas -- Little Rock -- History.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
Non-circulating, in-house use only.
Capital Hotel materials, MSS.99.27, Butler Center for Arkansas Studes, Arkansas Studies Institute