Skip to main content



Arkansas historic buildings collection

Arkansas historic buildings collection

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid

Finding aid for the Arkansas historic buildings collection

BC.MSS.98.47

Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
100 Rock Street
Little Rock, Arkansas, 72201
(501) 320-5700
arkinfo@cals.org

February 23, 2016



Repository: Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
Title: Arkansas historic buildings collection
Dates: 1977-1999
Quantity: 3.8 Linear feet
Abstract:This collection contains reports, project manuals, construction drawings, and correspondence pertaining to the rehabilitation, restoration, and maintenance of several historic buildings in Arkansas.
Identification: BC.MSS.98.47
Language: English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged topically.


Scope and Contents

This collection contains reports, project manuals, construction drawings, and correspondence pertaining to the rehabilitation, restoration, and maintenance of several historic buildings in Arkansas from 1977 to 1999.


Historical Information

Materials in this collection describe programs that identify and address issues related to the upkeep and rehabilitation of historically significant buildings in Little Rock, North Little Rock, Fort Smith, and Texarkana, Arkansas, and one small cabin on the Buffalo National River.

The twenty-one blocks included in the Main Street Historic Buildings Survey, Little Rock, Arkansas, comprise the early commercial district of the city. Some residential, institutional, and public use buildings are included in this survey that was financed in part with federal funds from the National Park Service.

The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in Little Rock (renamed the Richard Sheppard Arnold United States Post Office and Courthouse) was completed in 1932. It is the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas. Located at 600 West Capitol Avenue, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

The U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Little Rock is located at 300 West 2nd Street and is also known as the Old U.S. Post Office and Courthouse.

The Argenta Community Development Corporation, established in 1992, focuses on rebuilding residential, commercial, and public buildings in order to revitalize the Argenta (North Little Rock) historic district.

The Fort Smith National Historic Site is part of the National Park Service and is located in downtown Fort Smith. The park includes the remains of two military posts, the federal courthouse, and two jails. The park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in March 1986.

The Texarkana U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is a 1933 Beaux Arts building that was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. It is the only federal building built in two states, Texas and Arkansas.

Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps, "cabin #3" is located at Buffalo Point on the Buffalo National River. The area is part of the National Park Service. The rustic cabins in the park were constructed during the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Several reports in the collection were generated by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. The agency was created by the Arkansas General Assembly in 1969. Its mission is to fulfill the objectives of the National Historic Preservation Act by the identification, preservation, and protection of the cultural heritage of Arkansas. AHPP reports in this collection set out program plans for fiscal years 1978, 1980, 1981, and 1982.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Architecture -- Arkansas
Architecture -- Arkansas -- Little Rock
Courthouses -- Arkansas
Historic buildings -- Arkansas
Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration -- Arkansas -- Little Rock
Witsell, Charles

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Restrictions on Use

Non-circulating, in-house use only.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Arkansas historic buildings collection, MSS.98.47, Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, Arkansas Studies Institute

Acquisition Information

Donated by Charles Witsell, December 1998


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK